Monday 12 April 2010

More 17th century

It’s pretty clear, when I look at the pictures I have save, that it’s the period 1640-1680 that I find the most visually arresting. So here’s a batch mainly from the 1640s and 1650s. The rest will come in a later post.

I missed this one in my previous post, but as I like it sop much I add it here, even if it’s from 1632. Yellow instead of black- how refreshing!
Photobucket

1645. Isn’t it uncooperative of the sitter to throw a swatch of fabric over her gown?
Photobucket

Photobucket

1650. A woman in stays. Do I need to say more?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

1651
Photobucket

1652. A self-portrait by the paintrix- it annoys me that I’ve forgotten her name. And here is an example of where the chemise actually looks like it’s mad of silk. Hmm. Strikes me that it may have been, just because we look at a painter. Somewhere I read that painters wore silk when they painted to protect the paint- linen and wool was much more likely to shed fibres
Photobucket

1653
Photobucket

Photobucket


1657 A rather adorable little girl, I think.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the expression of her face- she looks so utterly bored!
Photobucket

1658. I love backs!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Clare said...

Ooh - lots of pretty pictures - I'm not going to go through and say which ones I particularly love as it would be almost all of them!

Some of the 17th c painters could capture satin so beautifully that it makes me drool!

The Dreamstress said...

*Love*love*love the yellow one! And the coral one halfway down is pretty special too.

Isis said...

Clare: Yes, they looks like you could touch it!

The Dreamstress. Yes, it's nice! The coral has really nice sleeves, I think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...