Friday 29 October 2010

A twenties coat

This is the youngest of my old clothes, and teh straight cut and single button makes me date it to the twenties. It's much larger than the other clothes, so I guess the woman who owned them became a bit fatter when she grew older. I'm not sure of the fabric, it's quite dull, but it's not wool. Silk/cotton, perhaps? It's quite lightweight, definitely not a coat for the cold Swedish winters. It's closed with one big button, and a hook and eye a bit higher up than the button. It's lined with very lightweight black silk. The collar, sleeves and hem are decorated with, well it's not lace, exactly. It's tulle decorated with coils of braid. I've never seen anything similar, actually. It's in great condition except the lining at the neck. My grandmother stored it hanging and that wasn't good for the fragile silk.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Detail of the hem.
Photobucket

2 comments:

The Dreamstress said...

Oooh, I like it! It's that 20's look, but very feminine at the same time.

Isis said...

Yes, it's pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...