Monday 22 October 2012

Men in masks

Comparing to my past masquerade posts, this post have few pictures. Partly, I think, because I don't look at pictures of 18th century men as much as I look at those with women. But also, I am sure, because the fashion of getting a painting of yourself in masquerade costumes, never seem to have been very popular. Why I don't know. Perhaps it was felt to be too frivolous. Here is what little I have found:  



Portrait of Count Grigory Chernyshev with a Mask in His Hand by Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun, 1793


Usually men in masks are part of a group containing both men and women.

Print made by Charles Joseph Flipart after Pietro Longhi, 1737-1750

Print by Nicola Cavalli after Francesco Maggiotto

Or in more satirical artwork:


Wantonness Mask'd, 1771

The treacherous patriot unmask'd, ca. 1742

 






2 comments:

Sanna K said...

Woah, that last one is really creepy...

Isis said...

I think so too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...