Thursday 20 August 2009

More than the 18th century

Two years ago, I sew a 40's evening gown:
Photobucket

It was a lot of fun to sew and I felt I wanted to do a short version, when I found the right fabric. And at a visit to Carina's fabric shop, I found the fabric. Rather surprising actually, as it has flowers on it. And I'm so not a flowery fabric person. But it spoke to me, and I bought it, and when I dug out the pattern, I understood why.
Photobucket


My sub-conscious mind has obviously a much better memory than my conscious. It's rayon, though, and pure hell to cut and sew in, so I'm still working on assembling the pieces.

Other news is that I'm sewing the boning-channels on my Regency stays. I'm nervous of the fit- it's the first time I've sewn something with bust gussets. And I think it may be cut too low...

7 comments:

Madame Berg said...

Oh, you look like a true movie star in that picture! Awesome dress.

Those gussets are what keeps me the most from starting on a pair of regency stays... Scary stuff!

Isis said...

Thank you! A friend turned 40 and had a 40's party. A really great one- EVERYTHINGS was 40's, music, food and location.

Isis said...

And yeah, gussets are scary- I feel pretty intimidated by them... :-D

Lithia Black said...

Oh, I agree with Mme Berg, You really look like a moviestar! Like the ladies on the "filmisar" I had when I was a kid.

Isis said...

Well, I aimed for that look, so thank you! :-D

Clare said...

Oooh, you in that dress dress = very glam! That fabric is v pretty - I can see why you went for it. Good luck with the assembly!

Isis said...

Thank you! The fabric is actually something I inherited from my grandmother- my guess is that itäs from the sixties. Very glam indeed. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...