Saturday 3 September 2011

Still dreaming about the 17th century

The 17th century seems to be moving closer. A few months ago I created a Facebook group just to see if there were any interest for the 17th century apart from me and the few I have talked with; I jakten på 1600-talet. (In Swedish only, translates to “The hunt for the 17th century”). To my surprise and delight the interest was larger than I thought and now some drifty people has proposed a first meeting to see if we can’t make this into a society. I think it’s a great suggestion!

Another nice thing; To my delight I have found out that Susan North and Jenny Tiramani are editing this; Seventeenth-Century Women's Dress Patterns: Book Two . Scheduled to be published in June 2012. Seems there will be a book on later 17th century clothes after all.





I have ordered silver thread and spangles so as soon as they arrive I’m going to do test embroidery for the 17th century jacket. I have also started to dream about this one:



It is also analyzed in Seventeenth-Century Women’s Dress Patterns: Book One , it’s the one which is x-rayed on the front. It has an inter4esting construction with a boned under construction and I would love to try it out. The book features a portrait with a similar jacket but without the slashing and I would probably do it like that. I have found a lovely mulberry coloured taffeta that I think would look great. I need to sort out my various sewing projects first before I start anything new. But I can dream, can’t I?

4 comments:

Olympe de la Tour D'Auvergne said...

Dream away! Sounds like something great is beginning.

ZipZip said...

Dear Isis,

Wow, you are going to do that bodice? It is a beauty. Looking forward to following your experience with recreating it.

Very best,
Natalie

Isis said...

Comtesse Olympe: I hope so!

Natalie: Me too- I'm itching to begin! But first I have to make an 18th century Robe de Cour...

The Dreamstress said...

Oooh, we can be jacket twins! I have that on my 17th c to-do list too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...