Thursday 19 May 2011

Chemise a la reine


I made my first chemise a la reine in 2003; I have since made another one, and liked it enormously. Such an easy gown to make and very comfortable. I used the pattern from Norah Waugh’s The Cut of Women's Clothes: 1600-1930, more or less as it is- the only change in the actual pattern was a slightly bigger armscye. I also omitted the front opening and pull it over my head and the channels on the bodice. I find that works perfectly fine with just a sash to pull in the wrinkles.

My first was made in cotton that was a bit too heavyweight.



My second one was made of voile, which draped much better, but unfortunately I didn’t bought the fabric myself and forgot to specify that it should be pure cotton. The fabric is a cotton/polyester mix and feels it! So when I ruined it with a large splash on red wine that was impossible, I wasn’t too upset.





It's very easy to renew a chemise a la reine. A new sash and another hat is all it takes.





I have a third version cut out, this time in cotton gauze, but for some reason I haven’t got around sewing it all together. I probably should, summer is coming and it is the perfect 18th century gown for a hot day.

6 comments:

Rhissanna said...

Gorgeous! And that second photo is simply stunning.

Anonymous said...

Jag trodde aldrig att jag skulle skriva upp en Chemise à la reine på min önskelista, men numera finns den faktiskt där.

Dina är fina och första bilden på dig ser lite magisk ut.

The Dreamstress said...

You were made to wear a chemise a la reine! Especially with a wide blue silk sash.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who cuts things out and then doesn't sew them up. I just love the cutting part - and you don't know if anything is going to go wrong until you start sewing!

Rowenna said...

Beautiful! I want to make a chemise soon--would be perfect for summer events! You look like an angel in the first pic :)

Madame Berg said...

I agree with the Dreamstress: a chemise becomes you extremely well! You must have something angelic in you...

Isis said...

Rhissanna: Thank you!

Lady Augusta: The magic of photoshopping. ;)

Dreamstress: Thank you! I'm rather bad at the cutting out thing. :/ Not just a lot of ongoing project, but just cutting out is hardly even to begin. :) Oh well, I'll get to them one day:

Rowenna and Madame Berg: It's funny, but being called angelic or angel has popped up several times during my whole life. Can't imagine why, as I hardly feel very angelic. But thnak you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...