Friday, 14 October 2011
How to make a robe de cour in six weeks and hopefully not go crazy, part 5
At the moment I feel like all my waking time is spent sewing. It’s little more than a week to the ball and I have to make a white domino for my darling as well. What I have done so far is this.
Hour 14-17 Stitching extra boning channels down the front and across. Linen canvas and inserted boning made it quite a hassle.
Hour 18-24 Covering the tabs with velvet as well as covering the back edges with velvet. The bodice of Sofia Magdalena’s robe de cour has the tabs both covered and lined separately and I think it makes it much easier. However, that bodice has the tabs edged with silk ribbon and I just folded the velvet to the back and stab-stitched it into place. The sole reason for that is the fact that I didn’t have any silk ribbons at home.
Hour 25-27 Covering the shoulder straps with velvet.
Hour 28-32 Lined the tabs and the shoulder straps with white linen and padded them with combed wool. I think the wool will really makes a difference when it comes to wearing comfort.
Hour 33 and counting Covering the bodice with velvet. I used the original pattern as template and re-drafted it with an eye to the pattern of Sofia Magdalena’s bodice. So far I have attached the front-side pieces and am currently working on the first back-side piece.
Then I need pad and line it and, which I’m a bit worried about, do the sleeves. Sleeves and I don’t get along… And if you didn’t know it, white cats and silk velvet goes very well together. At least if you ask the cat.