Friday, 10 June 2011
The masquerade gowns
I have a bit of a thing when it comes to masquerade gowns in the 18th century. They are so much fun! So far there have been three and a fourth is planned for October.
The first one I made, in 2002, was inspired by this painting.
For reasons totally unknown to me now, I opted for red rather than pink but apart from that I’m still very pleased with how it turned out. This was the first gown that really fitted and I loved the look of it, but as with all my clothes from that time I had very little money and the fabric is dead dino, again. It was only worn once, but perhaps I will make another one in silk, one of these days.
My second one was once again inspired by a painting.
I like it, but it’s still a work in progress. The collar needs to be lined and there should be more decorations.
That last one is the one I like the most. I went as a deer, but I wanted a deer as an 18th century woman would interpret it. The gown was already done, but I made this little antler hat and I really like the effect.